I have been hearing about replacing pizza crust with cauliflower and substituting pasta noodles with zucchini everywhere lately. I thought, well I love pizza and I love pasta. If it’s not broke don’t fix it! But then after some research and realization….eh maybe it’s broken just a little. So I decided to give the zoodles (zucchini noodles) a try. Much to my surprise they were pretty good! A few weeks later my aunt gave me a GIANT zucchini from her garden and I thought I would give the zucchini boats a try next. I am not going to lie I was a little leery and I had Papa John’s on speed dial for my husband, just in case.
I decided I would try a pizza styled zucchini boat first. I mean if it has pizza in the title surely it’s good. This recipe did not disappoint! Danny and I both really liked these and Papa John’s lost out on our business for the evening. I still have yet to try the cauliflower pizza crust. If you have a good recipe please share! This zucchini boat recipe is from the slender kitchen.
Pizza Zucchini Boats
Cook time: 25 minutes
- ½ tsp of olive oil
- ½ lb. of ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ cup of mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp. of oregano
- ¼ tsp. of basil
- ½ cup of marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp. of parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in meat, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the meat is fully browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, and marinara sauce.
- Meanwhile cut the zucchini in half and scoop out some of the center. I just used a big spoon. Place the zucchini on a sprayed baking dish or sheet.
- Fill the boats with the meat mixture.
- Top each with 1 tbsp. of shredded cheese and ½ tbsp. of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cheese is bubbling and the zucchini is tender.