I love love love love love Mexican food. It however tends to not be so fond of me. Since starting my clean eating journey I have been searching for recipes that are still the foods I used to always eat but the healthy and clean version. My goal is to “eat clean” throughout the week and then be able to have a little fun on the weekends. I feel like this is a very obtainable goal and so far so good.
The older I get the more I am concerned with what I am putting into my body. I want to live this life to the fullest, however long that may be, and I want to have a healthy body. Obviously I know that some things are unavoidable and I won’t live forever but if I can help but not cramming my body full of processed foods and soda then I feel like it’s the least I can do.
I am so thrilled with how this salsa and the tortillas turned out! I will for sure be making these again and again! I found both of these recipes on Pinterest. #thankspinterest I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!!
Makes 10-16 tortillas
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes each
- 3 cups of gluten free flour (or all-purpose flour if gluten free doesn’t apply to you :))
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of warm water
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and water and mix well until the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl and form into a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a square and cut 10-16 pieces of dough out, roughly the same size.
- Roll each piece into a roll and flatten out with your hands.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and allow them to sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Working on one at a time, roll out each dough piece on a lightly floured surface. Try to get them nice and thin.
- Place the dough circle into the frying pan and cook for one minute on each side. Watch to make sure they don’t burn.
- Repeat until all of your dough is cooked!
Prep time: 15 minutes (depending on how fast you can chop :))
Makes one medium sized bowl
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeños (optional)
- 1 small red onion
- 4 tomatoes
- ½ tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of salt and pepper
Chop everything and add in your spices and enjoy! SO easy!