I am happy to report that “clean out the fridge week” is OVER! Whew! I refuse to let food go to waste and I felt like we were due for a clean sweep but things were getting a little scarce by Saturday! We went to an event called Rock N Ribs Saturday afternoon and let me tell ya we stuffed ourselves! Rock N Ribs is basically a BBQ competition to see who can make the best BBQ in town and they all give out samples. So we were full but of course around 7 or 8 we were a little hungry, peanut butter on graham crackers is what we had… and that is all we had. Yup, Danny was extremely excited when I went to the store yesterday! And I was excited to be back in the kitchen making awesome meals!
I decided to start the week off right with something new and healthy. Shrimp stir-fry fit that description perfectly! This was a little out of my normal food comfort zone but I am really working on trying new things and eating a little bit healthier. I found this recipe on Pinterest and it was a hit! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Shrimp and Zucchini Stir-Fry
Prep time: 10 minutes max
Cook time: 10 minutes or so
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Medium to large zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. of raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sweet chili sauce, 3-5 tablespoons diluted with 3-7 tablespoons of water (This is spicy, use as much as you are comfortable with. A little goes a long way!)
- A few drops of sesame oil
- Chopped onions (optional)
- Heat up a large frying pan on high heat. Swirl in vegetable oil.
- Add garlic and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the zucchini chunks and drizzle soy sauce on top of them.
- Fry for a few minutes or until zucchini is tender. Season with a little pepper.
- Push zucchini to the side of the pan. If you skillet is dry add a tad bit more oil.
- Place in shrimp. Let them cook for one minute without stirring. Season with a little salt.
- After a minute is up mix zucchini and shrimp together and cook for another minute.
- Quickly stir in your chili sauce and water and coat the shrimp and zucchini.
- Add a few drops of sesame oil to the mix.
- Serve immediately with rice!
Yum yum yum!
And no I didn’t burn anything… I just used a littttle too much soy sauce and it tuned my zucchini brown. 🙂