Happy Easter! Ok maybe I am a day late and a dollar short but let me tell ya about our Easter! We had such an awesome Easter weekend! Danny’s family came down on Saturday and we spent the evening eating awesome food and enjoying each other’s company. Sunday morning we all met up with my family at church and attended a great service and then it was time to get home and cook! Call me crazy but I wanted to host Easter this year, for multiple reasons. One, I love our families and wanted to have them all together and two I wanted to test my skills! ( I think Nana appreciated the break :)) I’ve been rocking cooking meals for two buuuut eleven is a little different. I feel like everything went great and I was pretty proud of myself for pulling the weekend off like a pro!
I cooked SO much food and I think it’s safe to say that we will be eating left overs all week, sorry Danny! Today I am going to share the roll recipe I used because hello who doesn’t love bread? This recipe is by Ree Drummond and is in her newest book!
The stone has been rolled away! Haha get it? Rolled away…rolls? Ok, ok I will stop. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 24 rolls
Prep time: 10 minutes
(must make a day in advance!)
Cook time: 20-22 minutes
- 2 ½ teaspoons of yeast
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups of self-rising flour (this is a MUST)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Fill a medium size bowl with 2 cups of very warm water and sprinkle the yeast over the surface. Let the yeast sit for 5 minutes, until completely dissolved.
- Combine the butter and shortening in a separate bowl and melt in the microwave.
- Pour it into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add sugar and mix until it is smooth.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Then pour in the yeast water and mix again until smooth.
- With your mixer on low sprinkle in the flour and the salt.
- Guess what you need to do now? Yup. Mix well. Your batter will start to resemble dough at this point. You might need to scrape the sides to make sure you have it all.
- Finally, cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for 8 hours or up to 5 days! (Make this at the beginning of the week and you’ll have rolls for dinner every night!)
- When you are ready to eat, preheat your oven to 350.
- Scoop out as much dough as you want and put drops into a sprayed muffin tin.
- Cook for 20-22 minutes and then you are done! You’ve just made rolls! BOOM!
Some fresh flowers to set the table with and how cute is this little bunny!
Maybe I am a little excited…. maybe.
My Easter meal! I’m sad to say but this is the only picture I got…. I was too busy… well eating! 🙂
My mom made these bird’s nests. So cute, so yummy!