Oh how I love working at a bank! Paid holidays off are such blessings! I had the best day yesterday doing NOTHING. I always try to make the most of my days off. Danny and I usually find a something to get into or go on some sort of an adventure. If Danny has to work I will usually deep clean or food prep. But yesterday the most I did was make my bed and run the vacuum cleaner. A nothing day is something that I hardly ever do but I am so glad I got to enjoy it yesterday.
I did have to babysit at 5:30, which was a nice break from the nothingness, so I decided to make us a nice dinner before I left. I usually eat a Lunchable on my way there on Mondays so a real meal was a nice change! I decided to kick the week off right with an easy meal that I knew Danny would get excited about. We had Italian Shrimp and Chicken with a side of rice and cheese biscuits. It sounds complicated; I promise you it’s not! The Italian Shrimp and Chicken is something that I kind of created myself. I took different things from several different recipes and mixed them together. The cheddar biscuits are by Mrs. Ree Drummonds, of course.
Italian Shrimp and Chicken
Servings: 2 really hungry people
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 small chicken breasts or one large depending on how hungry you are
- ½ pound of shrimp (we might have snacked on some before :))
- Italian dressing
- Dried Italian dressing packet
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Melt a stick of butter in an oven proof pan.
- Slice your lemon and layer it on top of the butter.
- Lay your shrimp down and sprinkle the dried Italian dressing packet on top of them.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Marinate chicken all day in Italian dressing.
- Put your chicken in the skillet and cook up until it is done or toss it in the oven!
After both chicken and shrimp are cooked, add them together with your white rice and enjoy!
Servings: 24 biscuits
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-22 minutes
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) of cold unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups of Cheddar-Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with baking spray.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a sifter or fine-mesh strainer (a whisk will work ok too).
- Cut butter into cubes and add it to the bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and eggs.
- Pour the wet mixture into the butter-flour mixture and stir until it comes together.
- Add in the grated cheese.
- Stir until everything’s mixed together. The mixture will be a little on the thick side.
- Drop about ¼ cup helping into each cup of your muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
*Note: You can make the dough up to three hours in advance and store in the fridge. Allow an extra two or three minutes of baking time if your dough is cold.